Tuesday, September 19, 2006

A day at Manchester

I realized that I can never finish putting up the pictures because there are always new ones to put up, plus the backdated ones. So I'll be lazy and put up a selected few. Guess you guys won't be missing much anyway. When I'm free (like never) and feeling up to it, I'll put up more photos.

Anyway, since I need not go to Sheffield today, I decided to take a day trip to Manchester to visit an old friend of mine. It's funny how we never had the chance to meet each other back at home, and it takes us to travel miles away before we see each other again. Before I put pictures of Manchester, of which I took very little after I got a scolding from her for being so touristy, I shall update you guys on where I'm living and let you have a glimsp of what I see everyday. It's so beautiful that you would agreed with me if I say I don't want to go home.

The bright and sunny day. Not something you can always get in the Peak District. Fantastic area. Beautiful meadows, moors, hamlets, villages, peats, dry stone walls, farm lands, a typical English countryside so different from Malaysia and Singapore's landscape.
My aunt found these in the brick walls of the house. They're real fossils, and plenty of them too!

My good friend, the donkey. Pretty isn't he? I see plenty of these everyday.
Just the neighbour and the backyard. These drystone walls are national heritage.

That's Hope Valley below. All shrouded with mist.
On the road to Sheffield.
The Arts Tower. Archi occupies level 14-18 (top most level). The rest below are for other arts majors such at Languages, Sociology and Oriental studies. The arts tower, the tallest building in Sheffield Uni. is an interesting one. It has a continuously moving conveyance, a set of lifts stacked on top of each other and moves continuously. Took me a lot of courage to jump into one from the Ground floor all the way to the 14th floor. So basically, it's jump in and out of a conveyor lift. There are normal service lifts opposite these ones though. So for the claustrophobic, don't worry. Autumn's coming. Munching my lunch in the park next to Firth Hall while waiting for the admin lady in my archi department to return.
Right. So I was in Sheffield yesterday, Manchester today. Last minute decision but luckily my friend was free to meet up for lunch. Walked around Manchester Uni. in the morning and pretended to be a fresher to get some freebies. What a cheapskate I am, but I have a lovely Cola bottle opener now. Haha.

The doctor is in. Luckily I caught her at the right time. Do you know that their pub crawls here consists of as many as 10 over bars in one night?!??!?! Some even do 30 in a day! Madness!
Manchester still has the industrial feel. There still are traces of the Industrial Revolution because the buldings have been conserved and they're now mainly offices.Hmm... Manchester city center. The gardens next to Picadilly Bus Station. Lots of shopping too. Been given a crash course on shopping in Manchester by Kiran. That's the Urbis. An ultra modern gallery. Don't know what's above the 4th floor though.
Cafe Nero, Italian Coffee. Ah... shall try that one day for a good cuppa Java. Will definitely go back to Machester again to see Salford Quays and Old Trafford and a stadium Kiran mentioned. Sien... waiting for you to come so we can pub crawl! At least so that I can watch Kiran at her wildest side! Haha.
The temperature tonight is 8degC. My bag gets heavier by the day due to the weight of my jackets. I wonder what will it be when it gets to winter time... Autumn starts in 2 days time. Fare thee well sun :(

4 comments:

whatsthatfluffinmyhead said...

donkey got no name? haha it's cute!! looks like a stuffed toy horse..
u tried milking the cow? hehehe..
wahhh english countryside so nice.. quick go find mr bbc.. :P

Fat Cat said...

Uni looks so much nicer! Maybe i'm bored with mine... haha. And its 8 degrees?? Brrr.... still warm here. About 18 now. But at least its cooler than when u came over.. that was 24-26!

L!an said...

nice pics!! & very interesting too!! hehehe.. i like the idea of just hoping into the elevator.. ehehe

lostsheep said...

haha... i kept staring at it before i could muster up some courage to hop into one. haven't taken it all the way to the bottom though. need to find out what it's like.

hmm.. think delft has more design to it. my campus is quite old. celebrating its centenial next year. well,the grass is always greener on the other side but it's very green here to me! haha

milk the cow??? i don't want to touch those udders! plenty of cows, sheeps and horses!the donkey's my stallion for now. haha